What is Robotic-Assisted Dental Implant Surgery?
Robotic-assisted dental surgery has become the latest alternative in surgical techniques, not only for its use of robots but for its improved accuracy during implant surgery. As the newest alternative in oral surgery, robotic-assisted implant surgery assists oral surgeons in guiding the implant post into the correct spot and allows for same-day surgery without the invasiveness of traditional implant surgery. But what benefits does robotic-assisted implant surgery bring? We’re here to provide you with the basics of how robotic-assisted surgery works, why it’s better than traditional oral surgery, and where you can receive this type of treatment.
How Does Robotic-Assisted Implant Surgery Work?
Instead of performing dental implant procedures by hand, robots work as an assistant in the surgical process. After a basic examination of your teeth and jaws, your oral surgeon will personalize your treatment according to your needs, and for patients that need implants, this means planning out the surgery step-by-step through the use of robotic assistance. This type of surgery means that the robot can guide the surgeon to the correct spots within your mouth that need to be treated, and through the use of this technology, your oral surgeon can:
- Control with Precision: The robotic assistant helps guide the surgeon’s hand with precise, controlled angles and securely maintains trajectory during treatment by tracking patient motion for better accuracy overall.
- Perform Complex Procedures: For implant cases with complex tooth problems, patients that require precision and accuracy for their procedures can receive through robotic-assisted surgery.
- Obtain Visual and Audio Data: One of the biggest key features of using this type of surgery is that surgeons are able to gain visual and audio clues during the treatment to prevent the possibility of unintended movement or placement. This also means that dentists can gather more data about their patient’s medical health and curate it for their benefit.
- Faster Recovery Times: Because of its precision, the surgeon can make smaller incisions in the gum line and provide patients with a faster recovery time overall.
- Provide Successful Treatment: Overall, because of the increased accuracy ratings involved with this type of surgery, patients needing dental implants can safely invest in a new smile with the help of robotic assistance, especially for those who qualify for minimally invasive surgeries.
However, because of this system’s relatively new, not many oral surgeons provide this form of surgery. But within the last ten years, robotic-assisted dental implant surgery has become the new standard of care for oral surgeons and has helped over a million patients already receive a better-looking, healthier smile in no time at all.
Where To Find Robotic-Assisted Dental Implant Treatment?
For patients looking into robotic-assisted dental implant treatment, the best resource to learn more is through your local dentist. Your local dentist can recommend dentists to you within your area who specialize in robotic-assisted dental surgery and provide a referral, especially if you qualify for minimally invasive surgery and want to learn more about your options. You can also contact your current dental insurance company for dental practices that specialize in robotic-assisted dental surgery that accept your insurance.